Blasts tore through a Shiite mosque in the Afghan city of Kandahar during Friday afternoon prayers, killing as many as 33 people and injuring 74 others.
A Taliban official said that the attack on the Shiite mosque was carried out by a suicide bomber.
"Our initial information shows it was a suicide bomber who blew himself up inside the mosque," a local Taliban official told AFP on condition of anonymity, adding an investigation had been launched.
Photographs and mobile phone footage posted by journalists on social media showed many people apparently dead or seriously wounded on the bloody floor of the Imam Bargah mosque.
After the explosion, Taliban special forces rushed to the spot to secure the site and an appeal was made to donate blood for the wounded persons.
Meanwhile, no one has come forward to claim responsibility for the blasts in Kandahar, the spiritual heartland of Afghanistan.
Shiites are estimated to make up roughly 10 per cent of the Afghan population. Many of them are Hazara, an ethnic group that has been persecuted in Afghanistan for decades.