• Nagaland Civilians Killing: Army's Inquiry Team Inspects Incident Site In Mon

    The Army's inquiry team has sought help from the public for any primary information about the Nagaland firing incident

    An inquiry team of the Indian Army, which has been probing the unfortunate December 4 Nagaland firing incident, visited the incident site in Mon district on Wednesday. The inquiry team after visiting the site also visited the Tizit Police station.

    The inquiry team, headed by a senior rank officer, a Major General, inspected the site to understand the circumstances in which the incident could have happened.

    The team also took along the witnesses for a better understanding of the situation and how events would have unfolded. Subsequently, the team also visited the Tizit Police Station on December 29 to meet the cross-section of the society to include civilians, police personnel and doctors who treated the injured for obtaining valuable information pertaining to the incident.

    The Army's inquiry team has also sought help from the public at large for any primary information (not forwarded or not from a secondary source) about the incident.

    At least 14 civilians were killed on December 4 by the 21 Para Special Forces (SF) of the Army in a botched-up counter-insurgency operation in the Mon district of Nagaland. The first firing led to the death of six civilians who were coal miners and were mistook to be members of the terrorist outfit NSCN (K).

    When the coal miners didn't return to their homes on time, the other villagers started looking for them and surrounded the Army vehicles when they found the dead bodies. The troops had to fire at the agitating civilians from which seven died on the spot. During that time, one Army jawan also died.

    Following the incident, the Nagaland police filed an FIR against the 21 Para SF unit and said that the firing was without any provocation, intended to injure and kill civilians.

    On Sunday, the Army said that the investigation into the incident is progressing expeditiously and all efforts are made to conclude the investigation at the earliest. The Army also assured that action will be taken in the case in accordance with the law to "secure justice for all" and urged the people to be patient.

    Meanwhile, the Central government has decided to set up a high-level committee to look into the possibility of lifting AFSPA in Nagaland where it has been in operation for decades. The decision to form the committee was taken at a meeting chaired by Home Minister Amit Shah which was attended by Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio and Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
    For more such stories, follow us on Facebook , Twitter . Activate Website Notifications to stay updated.

    Leave A Comment