Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Saturday, April 5, urged Naxals to surrender and join the mainstream, reaffirming the government's resolve to end red terror in Chhattisgarh's Bastar by March 2026

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Saturday, April 5, made a strong appeal to Naxals to lay down arms and join the mainstream, asserting that the government is committed to ending red terror in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar region by March 2026.

Speaking at the closing ceremony of the state government’s Bastar Pandum Festival in Dantewada, Shah said, “You cannot stop the development of your tribal brothers and sisters by taking up arms.”

Addressing a large gathering on the occasion of Ashtami and Ram Navami, Shah said, “Today, I seek blessings from Goddess Danteshwari and make a solemn vow – by the next Chaitra Navratri, the shadow of red terror will be wiped from the land of Bastar. This is my promise, declared from the holy soil of Dantewada.”

The Union Home Minister said the time for violence and bloodshed in Bastar is over. “The days when bullets were fired and bombs exploded in Bastar are over. I urge Naxalite brothers to lay down arms and join the mainstream. You are our own. No one feels happy when any Naxalite is killed. Just surrender your weapons and join the mainstream,” he said.

Shah pointed out that a total of 521 Naxals had surrendered so far in 2025, and 881 in 2024. “Those Naxalites who have understood there is no need of arms, IEDs and grenades for development, but computers and pens have surrendered,” he added.

He said that the Union and state governments would provide full protection and support to those who return to the mainstream. “This region needs development. Prime Minister Narendra Modi wants to give everything to Bastar in five years. Bastar has not seen development in 50 years. However, this can only happen when children go to school, tehsils have health facilities, and every individual has an Aadhaar card, ration card, and health insurance,” he said.

Shah emphasised that the people of Bastar must take the lead in driving away Naxalism from their homes and villages. “Development can only happen when the people of Bastar decide they will make their homes and villages Naxalite-free,” he said.

Share this!